Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Simple Peach Salsa

I am incredibly fortunate to have awesome neighbors!  It is such a gift in life to be surrounded by interesting, caring, friendly, generous people.  But what's even better is when they have peach trees!  My next door neighbor told me last year to help myself to her peaches, and at the time, I had no idea what to do with the bounty.  So, like any warm blooded American, I baked a pie!  It was the most delicious summer time treat I had in a long time, but I finished the whole thing and then suddenly realized why pie is not popular during swim suit season!
This year, I filled my basket of peaches and decided on two recipes: salsa and muffins.  Sweet, savory, and in safe portion sizes, I could better enjoy the goods without paying the price!
The salsa was a big hit, and my only complaint was that it was such a small batch, I didn't have enough to gift back!  I will definitely be making this again!

Here is my simple version of a recipe I found online.  As always, I made substitutions with what I had on hand, and lucky again- it came out great!

Ingredients: (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 4-6 small peaches, peeled and diced
  • Juice of 1/2 large lemon, about 1/4 cup juice
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons diced red bell pepper
  • 1 heaping tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until serving time. The flavors marry best if left chilled for 4+ hours, but it also will get juicier.  If you like it still a little chuncky, serve it sooner. 

I served this with chips, but reserved the rest to spoon over Salmon the next night.  It also would taste great with any other grilled or broiled fish, pork, or chicken.



This salsa is great, and can be made with some heat added in for those braver than I.  Enjoy it while you still can.  The peaches will be gone before we know it!

Check back again for the muffin recipe!  Those were awesome too! 

Linking up with:
 image
Kirsten @ One Tough Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment