Sunday, August 11, 2013

Growing With A Group

Towards the end of spring, I was starting to ask myself just what the heck I was doing with this blog...
www.vehrcommunications.com
Thankfully, I found a great way to explore what had been missing all along, and find the answers to all my start-up questions.  The time was right to join a group and gain some knowledge to replace my inexperience.
For a mere $35 investment, I enrolled in a course that has helped me create and meet goals, improve blog design, make and share buttons, improve photography, edit photos with online apps, and begin to embark on the world wide social media web that has tangled my mind for so very long.  We're only half way done, and the fun has just begun.

Over the past six weeks, I've had an amazing opportunity to join in with a group of bloggers to learn as much as possible about getting things up and running around here.  From the moment that I received the course outline, I've been over the moon excited! I've been printing and saving the weekly readings and all my notes, like the true front row nerd that I am, and I've found a really great way to organize all my cool ideas...
As a newbie to the blogosphere, I had my reservations about getting in over my head. But from the very first reading assignment, Amy explains how to focus on your own definition of success, and throughout the course we learn to identify, keep and share our unique voice. I kept things simple and created short term goals that I thought would be realistic and attainable.
It didn't  take long to achieve the first 3 goals, especially with Amy's guidance and the support of so many other bloggers who have lots to share.  In a matter of weeks, I was able to learn enough to improve my layout, create buttons, establish social media accounts, and join sites like Bloglovin' and Feedly to improve my chances of finding followers.  It was so much easier than I thought, and really saved my sanity...
Being new to blogging can be so intimidating, but this group makes it really comfortable to jump right in and ask any questions.  It's great to have feedback and be able to share ideas with other bloggers. That's probably been my favorite part of the course.  Each time I check in, there is always someone doing something new and exciting, adding to the inspiration of the course itself!
I'm looking forward to the second half of the course where we will cover more on social media, submitting work, and exploring sponsorship.  To say I have no clue on these issues is an understatement...
When all is said and done, I may just want to start this course over again!  Summer keeps me super busy, and the computer is not always where I want to be.  But without this course, I would have never found the time or the inspiration to make so many changes in such a short period of time.  I'm so glad that I did this for me!

4 comments:

  1. Is this the little slot where the money comes out? Hahaha!!! I need one of those :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole! I'm glad to see your blog doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love your cartoons! And oh, trapper keepers!! I'm so glad you're a part of the course this time around!

    ReplyDelete