Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Succulent Experiment

These succulents were acquired as party favors from a kids birthday bash at the end of last summer.  They have been putting up with their limited space and occasional attention that we have afforded them so far, but I felt bad over the winter and wanted to finally give them more chance at survival.  Besides, we started some seeds last week, and I needed an instant fix of green to hold me over until something sprouts;) 
Tucked away in a deserted box in the garage were these cute wooden candle holders.  At one time, I had about 20 of these left over from a party long forgotten, but I always new I would find a way to get something more out of the collection.

I had read about required drainage for succulents, so I was planning to poke some holes.  I was prepared to go about it in a violent way, but it turns out that the cheap wood was very forgiving, allowing for quick perforations with the twist of a screwdriver.
ACE was the place to find the "Cactus, Palm and Citrus Soil".  The pebbles were found under the porch.  Step by simple step, the experiment came together:
spot the photographer!
This is one of the two resulting displays.  I hope that they both make it, especially because we couldn't resist naming the little green life-forms.  May "Spike", "Spikey" and all their friends live happy, long lives! 

See more inspiring projects with these links where I linked (wink!):
 

8 comments:

  1. It turned out great! I need to get some live plants into my house to :) Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! So glad that you hosted again! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love the container... and we used the same soil ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will try the glass terrarium when they outgrow (one can only hope) their little wooden homes.

      Delete
  3. I think I recognize those party favors ;-) Such a great idea for them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were $.50 each, with the 3 green glass votives included. So glad to find ways to re-use them.

      Delete
    2. PS: you never told me that you had a blog!

      Delete
    3. And, I just realized that the party favors you were talking about were the plants, and I was talking about the wooden box;). Now it makes so much sense.

      Delete