Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cabinet BBQ sauce

When I was shopping last week, chicken thighs were on sale.  I was craving BBQ chicken,but I knew that my husband would balk on the thighs. I would have to kick things up a notch to make this good.  Enter Google Search for BBQ sauce recipe...



Here is the list of ingredients from the cupboard:
Kosher Salt
Catsup
Brown Sugar
Dijon Mustard
Dried Onion
A1
Black Pepper
Barbecue Seasonings
Garlic Powder
Apple Cider Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar

In case we haven't met, I should tell you that I have a background in science with a love of experimentation.  Therefore, no recipe can be read as strict and I interpret the text according to what I have on hand...
I was able to experiment with my palm-ful of salt, squirts of mustard, bottom of the bottle of catchup,  3/4 Cup packed brown sugar, 2-3 dashes of dried onion, Tb. or so of A1, 3-5 cranks of the pepper mill, 1/4 cap full of BBQ seasoning, shakes of garlic sauce, and shots of Apple Cider Vinegar and Balsamic Vinegar.
I had seen lots of advice about quantities and components, but the overlying message that I received from the list of most reviewed was this:

Heat IT!

 Soak IT!
 
Wait while IT grills...
Plate IT up...
 EAT!!!


Honest, I compose and measure by what I have, and a well stocked pantry is a HUGE help!  Every cabinet should have 3-4 vinegars, 2-3 oils, and a collection of spices that would make a world traveler comfortable in your kitchen.  Click the link below to view what you should try to keep on hand:

   
The corn was grilled without help, and the bean salad was a compilation of what we harvested and collected from the CSA.  I searched online again for a bean salad recipe and came up with this one

I took their advice on the basics of the marinade including the following ingredients:
Green onion, chopped
Celery
Cider Vinegar
Veg. Oil
Honey
Mustard (dried, ground)
Garlic Powder
Pepper
Dried Onion
Cayenne Pepper

But I mix-ologied this to my taste, and soaked some fresh picked, quick blanched pole beans in this dressing, along with some chopped carrots and a sprinkle of feta.  After a few minutes to marry the flavors, I was ready to plate it over a bed of fresh lettuce greens.  This was a great supper!!!  It looked and smelled terrific, tasted great, and was very satisfying.  Even my husband thought so! 

Want to see what others have done this week?  Click the links below for lots of projects, room reveals, tips and tricks for your enjoyment:



 image
Kirsten @ One Tough Mother


2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Monday Funday!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Thanks for hosting and have a great week.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete